Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I started reading Galations recently and wonder what y'all think about Chapter 1. Specifically, verse 4 "to rescue us from the present evil age"
verses 6&7 "I am astonished that you are so quickly ...turning to a different gospel - which is really no gospel at all."

Have you ever questioned the teaching of your pastor? It's like going to a doctor. We are used to trusting that the doctor knows best and whatever he or she says is "gospel truth". But, sadly, that's not always the case. Although pastors are called by God to feed his sheep and teach us about the Word, they are as human as we are. And BOY are WE human!!! We all have our opinions and different ways of thinking about things.
But what is always true is God's Word and His Gospel telling us that Jesus died for our sins, defeated the devil and rose to life. He still reigns and will forever. Our ticket into His heavenly kingdom is relationship with and dependence on Him - no other - not ourselves or our deeds - but Him only.
There are a lot of churches straying from this message. I know. I've been to a few of them in my journey these past few years. What Paul saw back then is still the case today. Maybe you've seen the commercials on TV recently for scientology or noticed the expanse of political correctness to remove any message of God or Jesus from public signs so that no one is "offended". I was at a church for a while where the pastor didn't want to mention Jesus because some people might be offended. After all, the pastor said, Jesus is just one of many ways to heaven. I no longer attend that church.
To continue verse 7, "Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the Gospel of Christ." It's out there, my friends. Be vigilant.

2 comments:

  1. I am reminded of two scriptures: 2 Tim. where we are told that the scriptures can be used to rebuke, etc. and fully equip us for every good work and Phil. 2 where we are told to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. Being vigilant is being wise. In order to do that we must search the scriptures daily. No one else's faith can be mine nor can their salvation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When he is talking in verse 4 about the present evil age. I started thinking if they thought it was evil then what would they think now. But, the evil is life without Jesus. It seems like alot of people are very frustrated by the state of today's world. If we have accepted Jesus and escaped evil, then we should have a different view. We might live in an evil world but evil doesn't dwell in us, Jesus does.

    ReplyDelete